Saturday 21 August 2010

Mulled Wine

I have already been I must admit thinking about recipes that I can cook during the holiday season.  I am planing on making one or two pumpkin pies around Halloween (as we don't celebrate Thanksgiving in England).  My favourite holiday drink is Mulled wine.

I love to put on a Christmas movie in the background, have a glass of Mulled Wine and write my Christmas cards out to people. This is the recipe that I follow and people have loved it in the past.

This will give you 6 large glasses of Mulled Wine. For a Christmas Party double the recipe but make sure that you use the same brand of wine.

Ingredients:

  • A bottle of red wine
  • Mulled Wine spice sachet. (which is pretty much cinnamon and a little nutmeg)
  • Half a pint of water
  • Half a pint of orange juice
  • Three tablespoons of sugar
  • 1 sliced apple
  • 1 sliced orange
  • Brandy (some people say a quarter of a pint but I'd say as little or as much as you like)
In a sauce pan warm up the wine, water, orange juice, sugar and the mulled wine sachet together.  Stir it on low heat and make sure it doesn't boil. (If by any chance it did boil, quickly transfer the drink into another saucepan that is cold to stop it from boiling further.)

Once you see a tiny cloud of heat rise from your wine (right before it boils!) add the sliced fruit and stir it gentle for a minute or so. You'll find that the apple will float and the orange will sink to the bottom of your pan.  Then add the Brandy in and enjoy. (If you have boiled the wine then simply add a bit more Brandy than you had initially intended to!) Serve in glass of wine (with Christmas Charms) and enjoy.  

If you love cinnamon you could always add a stick in at the beginning.  I don't put the Mulled Wine in a punch bowl as it will get cold and won't be as nice. I just turn off the heat once my glass is ready and put the lid on. Then when I'm ready for another glass, I just warm it up again gently. 

If I make this for two or 3 people then I put a tea spoon in each glass for the fruit.
In my Christmas parties I give everyone cocktail sticks. 

Hope you like this recipe whoever you are. 
Do any of you have any traditions for when you write your Christmas cards? If you do please let me know. 

Lily

No comments:

Post a Comment